Kids

Kids
Easter Pic

Monday, November 8, 2010

Dusting and other pointless chores…

Some people really get into spring-cleaning, but I am more of a fall cleaner.  In the spring I want to get out of the house after being cooped up all winter and the summer means Busch Gardens, Water Country, the beach, the pool, anywhere outside the house.  By the time the fall rolls around the dust bunnies are big enough to eat my children.  I keep a pretty clean house most of the time, but the dust is really my nemesis.  It could be argued that laundry and ironing are my least favorite chores, but at least I do them.  I can honestly say that I cannot remember the last time that I dusted, and that means it was before the baby was born, so at least 5 months ago. 

I am convinced that dusting, along with keeping a green lawn, are the most pointless and time consuming wastes of life.  Dusting is ridiculous.  There are a million products out there to help with dusting your home, but basically the dust just moves around.  I imagine that a man who wanted to keep his wife very occupied for the duration of their marriage devised the concept of dusting. Perhaps a woman who wanted to keep her husband outside, or in the garage, indefinitely, created the concept of a green lawn.  Americans spend hundreds, sometimes thousands, of dollars every year trying to keep their lawn green, weed free, and looking pristine.  I have tried to tell my husband that grass is not supposed to be green all year long.  It turns brown in the winter because it is supposed to, not because we have failed the lawn game.  During the hottest part of the summer our lawn looked like a dying crusty wasteland, but it was over 100 degrees outside.  I don’t care how much you water; the grass is going to die. 

Let’s not even get into the weed situation.  My philosophy is that if it is green it is welcome to reside in my lawn with the rest of my grass.  Unfortunately, my husband would like all the grass to look the same.  Now I have nothing against gardening.  Understand the beauty of flowers and other plants, even if I can’t get any to live.  I used to wonder if I would be a good parent based on the fact that I always kill the plants in my flowerbed.  I do best with those that thrive on neglect.  Too bad my house and lawn don’t work that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment