Kids

Kids
Easter Pic

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Bikini Body


Bikini Body

            This year I turn 30 years old.  I am a mother of three beautiful children and a wife to a wonderful husband.  This year I bought a bikini.  Every year my family goes on vacation to the Outer Banks in North Carolina. Ever since my son was born I have worn a one-piece bathing suit or a tankini, even though I find them uncomfortable and it is nearly impossible to find a full coverage bathing suit that doesn’t make me look like I am under 50.   
The truth is: I have horrible stretch marks.  
 I slathered on every advertised cream, drank tons of water, and watched my weight with my first pregnancy, but genetics can be stronger than will-power.  I was left with a beautiful baby boy and a completely scarred stomach.  Oh, how I cried when those first stretch marks appeared, somewhere in my 8th month of pregnancy, and were quickly followed by many, many more.  I thought I was ruined.
            Now that I think back to my pre-pregnancy body I realize I was never satisfied with it either.  I was never skinny enough.  There was always some flaw I was desperate to be rid of.  If I had that body now I would be in 7th heaven.  I guess that is the curse of youth.  Some time, a couple of months ago, I was looking in the mirror and I thought to myself, “This is the best you are going to look.  You might as well enjoy it.” So I decided to buy myself a bikini.   There are some that are likely to be horrified.  I certainly don’t look like a super model… or maybe I do.  Check out these pictures of “real” moms Cindy Crawford and Julia Roberts.  I am certainly not implying that moms without stretch marks  are not real… they are just very, very lucky.



Here are some pictures of me in a bathing suit.  The first one at the top of the post is from me when I was 15.  I was 19 in the picture directly below. The third was taken on my honeymoon when I was 22, and the fourth was taken the summer before I was married.  I am five months pregnant in the last at 27.




I remember being very upset for this picture, both before and after it was taken.  I thought that I looked fat.  I was convinced there were “rolls” on my stomach.

This picture was taken in Antigua on my honeymoon.  I did not let my husband take many pictures of me, but in this one I made sure that I had a sarong over the “fat parts”.  I wish I had known how lucky I was then.




In this picture I am 5 months pregnant with my 2nd child.  I was pretty comfortable and confident in this bathing suit.   I wish I could have bottled that confidence for after my daughter was born.



I don’t write this as a pity party for me… more as an awakening that I am finally growing up and into my skin, literally.  I will be worried that someone is judging me, but at the same time I am proud of myself.  Now I won’t look back when I am 90 and wish that I had appreciated my 30 year old self.  30, consider yourself appreciated! FYI I will add a picture once I have a tan and a bikini I love.

3 comments:

  1. Great post! I hope you look me up when you're down here in the OBX. I'll admire you for the awesome woman you are! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My body has gone thru so many changes. Growing up I was always chubby, but from 19-24 I had an amazing body that I worked very hard for. I was in a size 2-4 but still thought I was fat, I also never wore a bikini due to stretch marks. Now I am 32 and over weight, in a size 16-18. Like you I wish I appreciated the body I had back then. I did to a point, but there were still areas I wanted to change.

    I am at the point in my life now that when bathing suit season rolls around I just don't care what I look like. I know that I am no where close to having a nice body so I just enjoy the fun in the sun with the kids and the hell with my fat and paleness. Honestly it is my paleness that bothers me more than my body type.

    I am really happy that you are happy with your body now. I can remember you telling me at BG how you felt like you were overweight. You are really the size many women would love to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth, I think you are absolutely beautiful! I was always chubby growing up until my height hit. :) Then after Caitlyn, the marks were horrible. I have not worn a bikini since I was 17 and probably won't until I get down a bit more... I think you are writing a great post, I am happy that you are feeling comfortable in your own skin!

    ReplyDelete